Friday, March 9, 2007

Taking the Tour out of Tourist

When I was a junior in high school, one of my roles in the spring musical was to be a tourist in the opening scene. There were 8 or 10 of us that wandered around the stage in two lines and took pictures. I even have a picture of the audience I took one night.

I hate being a tourist. True, I am a traveler, there really is not much debating that. I love packing up a few things and hitting the road (or the sky, rails, or open water for that matter) and leaving the norm behind me. Maybe it is the innate craving for adventure that calls me out into the unknown, or maybe it is the thirst for an understanding that can only be discovered through cultural immersion. Who knows? The only thing I really know is that the less touristy the trip the better!! Whatever the case may be, my next trip is going to be to Mexicali, Mexico at the start of April!

This trip will definitely be qualifying for less than touristy label. Why? Well because this is really a short term mission trip. In the past when I have done trips like this they have been called alternative spring breaks or something to that effect, but this one is really a mission trip. What's the difference? Well first of all, because we will be doing Vacation Bible Schools at 4 different sites. Granted, this means playing soccer, singing, doing skits, arts and crafts, and just generally playing with kids. I am really not too concerned or nervous about that. The real change is going to be the accomodations.

When I went to Puerto Rico in 2003, we were confronted by many of the cultural aspects that I assume I will be seeing in Mexico. There will be a language barrier, terrible housing, stray dogs that you don't dare go near, but in Puerto Rico, we were staying at a retreat center...Not the case on this trip. Once we cross the border, we say goodbye to the modern comforts of home. No more running water (we will have to buy all of our water for drinking and anything else) and no flushing toilets. We will be using spit holes for brushing teeth and porta-potties for you know what.

The strange thing is I am both really nervous and excited at the same time. Don't ask me why because at the moment I really haven't the foggiest clue as to why I am excited at not being able to take a shower for a week. That is just bizarre!

Well, that is about all I am going to say for now, but rest assured there will be a lot more blogging between now and then about the topic. For now, if you are the praying type, pray for our preparations and fund raising. Right now we are really short on funds and that is not a good thing, but we have faith that God will provide! If you have the burning urge to donate, or know someone who would like to, let me know and I can get you information on that!

1 comments:

Mags said...

The good news? No one else will have showered for a week.

It would be 10 X's worse if you were the only smelly guy.