Tuesday, March 27, 2007

It's That Time Again

[Stage Notes:: Restless]
[iPod:: Charlie Brown | The Coasters ]

Those of you that know me well are probably going to get about half way through this post and say to yourselves, "For crying out loud, I thought we were past this." Guess again, and try and help me out, it is far more productive!

For the rest of you, Hi.

The variables:
X = It is the end of March
Y = I am restless
Z = I am embarking on a trip that will no doubt be very meaningful.

X + Y + Z = Crisis time. Granted, Y has been more or less a constant ever since I graduated and realized I am not doing what I am supposed to be doing. Unfortunately, that realization was not combined with the immediate understanding of what I am supposed to do. Thomas Jefferson once said, "I have not had 999 failures. I have found 999 ways how not to make an electric light bulb."

Well, check Engineering and Application Support off the list, now what are the other 998 possibilities? Hmm, somehow I do not think I have the time to try out 1000 careers. If I did each one for 3 weeks, It would take me 57 years and 36 weeks just to get done with my trials. I'll be 81 years old an just starting my career. When would I get to retire???

Heck, yesterday I started thinking about just trying to find really awesome seasonal jobs and float from job to job for a while. It would probably make for an interesting book down the road, and I would have no shortage of pictures to show for my time.

I think one of my problems is that the job I wish I could do, I just cannot do. Seriously. I know what you are all thinking, "You can't do it now, but with some classes and hard work, you can do anything." If education were the only problem then I would agree whole heartedly, but that is not the big problem. If I could do anything, I would be a doctor. Yes, I know, I hate doctors, but I would still be one.

Confused yet? Stay with me. The job of a doctor or even a nurse has pretty much the characteristics of my ideal job. Lots of interaction with different types of people, creative problem solving, passion, meaning. Enter the problem; I have a very weak stomach. I have been doing MDA camp for 8 years and there are still fairly basic things that are very difficult for me to do. I wish I could, but I just cannot seem to get over it. I even have to turn away during parts of Grey's Anatomy or ER.

What does that leave me? Well if nursing and doctoring are out, take another 6 weeks off of the total. Just 57 years, 30 weeks and 994 careers left to try.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

"Purpose... it's that little flame that lights a fire under your ass."

If it makes you feel any better, you're definitely not alone. I feel the same way most of the time. I think there's definitely a push in our generation to find "the one thing that makes us happy" and that puts enormous pressure on us to actually *find* that one thing that makes us happy, but most of us have no idea what that is.

Anonymous said...

There are lots of careers that have those characteristics. If you are seriously thinking health care there are areas of health care that have no gore but deal with different types of people, creative problem solving, passion, meaning. Physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy all involve health care and deal with the same people that a doctor or a nurse would but at a different point in recovery. I know you aren’t looking for suggestions, but there is a career out there for you.

Mags said...

First of all, I can't believe you "know" me and you wrote this.

Take it from a girl who's always wanted to be something but couldn't for whatever reason-at at 30 (30!) is going to do it now, when most of the people in the field have been doing it since they were teenagers.

And then tell me you can't do it.

Puhlease! ;)

Follow your heart, no matter how hard the road is, chasing a dream is worth it.

Trust me.

Spartan Sojourner said...

Lindsey: Well said, though now I am going to have that song stuck in my head for a while :oP

Anon: Suggestions are always welcome. I have thought about those in the past, though maybe it is time to look at them again.

Mags: I do "know" you and it has been very encouraging reading about the way you are following your dream. The weak stomach is something I have been trying to get over for years and am just not having any luck with it. That said, I think the biggest problem is figuring out where it is my heart is leading me. I am ready for the adventure, I am just not good at waiting for it.

Anonymous said...

As someone else who knows you well, I think it is a combination of the time of year (February-March have always been tough for you) Plus the not really decided letter from the teaching program. I know what it is like to not know what career to pursue, but I actually think that it is easier for a woman, cause I can say, this is just what I do until I get married and have kids, then I can stay at home for a while!

And I agree with anonymous, there are a lot of things in the health care field you can do that don't involve the "blood and guts" of it all!

Mags said...

"I'm just not good at the waiting..."

I hear THAT!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.