Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Sure, why not :)

[Stage Notes:: Suddenly Smiling]
[iTunes:: Marvelous Light | Passion Worship Band]

I did not know what I was going to write about, but I knew it was time to write. Then the song changed.

'Marvelous Light' is definitely one of my favorite new praise songs! Unfortunately, the first few times it was played during chapel in Mexico, the words were not being displayed. In fact, if I am not mistaken, the first time it was played was just after the power blew one night at camp. I am not sure if we blew the circuit breaker or if one of the generators decided it wanted to rest. Regardless it is a very energetic song that just makes me smile and want to start jumping around. If I wasn't at work right now, I would probably be doing just exactly that...or trying to jam along on the guitar. Keyword; trying.

I am always amazed by the way music can speak to us. Several years ago, there was a song that Riverview used to play called 'Unashamed Love' and I loved it. It is a very simple song that has surprisingly powerful words. Over the years, I have found myself singing it in various situations. When I was nervous and worried about things in Florida, I sang it to myself. When life was getting crazy at State, i sang it to myself. When I realized things were out of my control, I sang it to myself.

With everything that has been happening in the last few weeks, I was hoping that my time in Mexico would be a reprieve. I was hoping it could be a time where I would be walking closely with God again and the worries of everything would just fade away. I was hoping that a week and a half without technology would help me separate. Then it happened almost without warning. These words popped into my head...

You call on me to lay aside the worries of my day;
To quiet down my busy mind and find a hiding place.
Worthy, you are worthy...
Worthy, you are worthy...

Open up my heart and let my spirit worship you;
Open up my mouth and let a song of praise come forth.
Worthy, you are worthy...
Worthy, you are worthy...

of a child-like faith,
and of my honest praise,
and of my unashamed love.

of a holy life,
and of my sacrifice,
and of my unashamed love.
I nearly broke down a few nights later when the band out of no where, in the middle of a high energy set, started to play those same words I knew so well. I am always astounded at the variety of ways God can speak.

0 comments: